Thursday, June 10, 2010

Black Men and Public Space

Though I cannot personally relate to this man's struggles for being regularily mistaken for a criminal, I really enjoyed reading his story. Legal segregation is no longer present in our society, but it still exists, along with stereotyping and racism. In this particular story a man is mistaken for being a threat because of his skin color and his overall appearance. I believe this to be wrong in several different aspects. It is not fair to judge somebody upon arrival. I realize that he fits the description of a common criminal, but I find it really sad that people ran from him, or called the cops on him for no legitimate reason. I feel for this man, and his hardships. Though I have not been persecuted for being white, I have fallen victim to stereotypes in the past. I have been labeled as 'stuck-up' or 'snobby' because of my appearance, before even having the chance to defend myself. I believe everybody is a victim of stereotyes, whether they are black or white, male or female, rich or poor. It exists in our society and I find it irritating and sometimes down right disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment